Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 09, 2007

I read this article a few days ago and the possibilities astounded me.
Firefox OS: Why My Hard Drive & Software are Obsolete
Imagine not needing to sort through a damn hard drive (which in my case includes the 40GB on the laptop, 15GB on the backup laptop, my 250GB external drive, as well as 3 USB flash devices--4 if you count my old mp3 player that I use as a flash drive--to add another 3+ GB). Sure there are security and privacy issues, but as if I'm going to store my Money files on anyone's server.

It's still intriguing, though--the idea of storing text, word-processing and spreadsheet docs, photos, and video online. Google provides all sorts of gadgetry and widgetry for all of that. Hell, I'm composing this post on Google Notebook. I may not finish this post tonight, but maybe tomorrow at work on a borrowed terminal at lunch. And when I'm done, I'm going to cut and paste this right onto a Blogger post form. Once upon a time, I might have composed this on Notepad or with the Firefox ScrapBook extention, or whatever else would be available to me regardless of whether or not I was online.

That's not to say I'd do away with my OS and it's apps, even if it were completely feasible and secure. I wouldn't even go 100% with Google--I still like Backpack (although I'm more of an hPDA person, now). Plus, the article assumes that you're always going to have internet access, and that's just not true right now, at least not for me.

But I can envision a scenario where my laptop could blow up and between wi-fi, Google's apps, flash drives, and my backup laptop, I could be up and running again with only the inconvenience of not being completely 100% up-to-date.

Now, if only I could get those Borg implants...

0 comments: