Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

...but for me, this is what I call life, as the song goes.

Apologies in advance to those whose RSS readers I'm about to break.

1
I submitted a story to an online magazine that I usually get an average response time (read: rejected) of a month. This time around, they've held it for almost three. So I email the mag, thinking that they've rejected it and their message got caught in my spam filter, seeing as they've published the issue that I submitted the story for during their last reading period. Turns out, the tell me that they're "still considering it." I think I'll chalk this one up as the first non-rejection letter I've received, eh?

2
Currently reading:
frazy.comfrazy.comfrazy.com
powered by frazy.com

THE YEAR'S BEST FANTASY & HORROR has Chuck Palahniuk's "Guts," but that's not the reason I got it. I noticed in the table of contents a very short story by Joyce Carol Oates called "Stripping" which was included as an example of her darker fiction. I'm ashamed to say that I really didn't know she did "darker fiction."

Kelly Link's MAGIC FOR BEGINNERS was just released on paperback, so I just had to have it. I don't know why I continue to torture myself by reading her stuff. Talk about total discouragement. I read her stuff and ask myself, "Why do I even bother?"

I've been neglecting my own advice and been leafing through RUN WITH THE HUNTED: A CHARLES BUKOWSKI READER. From the parts that I've read, the editor John Martin seems to have carefully selected certain material in a way similar to the way zoos are designed to keep the patrons at a safe distance from the more vicious animals. Maybe I'll actually pick this one up soon to innoculate myself because I'm finding myself wanting to read more and more of his prose.

3
Currently Listening:
frazy.comfrazy.comfrazy.com
powered by frazy.com

Relative newcomer Christian Scott and his band blend their artistry into something accessible in REWIND THAT. In other words, it's not always about "swing" but rather "the groove," whether they're dealing with swing, R&B, or even rock grooves (see also most stuff by Lonnie Plaxico or Jacky Terrasson).

BROWNIE: THE COMPLETE EMARCY RECORDINGS OF CLIFFORD BROWN is literally a jazz master-class in a box, complete with false starts and alternate versions of songs and solos. This may sound pretentious, but that statement alone should separate those who would truly appreciate it from those who might have a casual interest but not want to invest in a 10-CD box.

There's no way I could turn my nose up at Toto's FALLING IN BETWEEN if I actually shelled out cash for CHICAGO XXX. And, not just because of the James Pankow horn arrangements, either. It's great music. Trouble is, you could level the same criticism (though some would call it praise) on Toto. One could say that someone cryogenically froze Toto back in 1989 and revived them in the studio to record this album.

4
I'm still getting adjusted to my new fall schedule at The Big Red School on the Hill. I come in later, but then I'm the last one to leave to close the Joint. There's potential in this schedule except for two things: (a) My bad nocturnal habits are creeping back in. Since last Thursday, I've gotten less than 8 hours of sleep a night, which is a long string since I've started this new sleep hygeine thing. (b) There's no longer any real time for dinner between the end of my day and any evening physical activity (in this case, yoga).

5
frazy.comfrazy.com
powered by frazy.com

I've managed to introduce The Wife to two more BBC gems that she'll enjoys, CHEF! and MONARCH OF THE GLEN. I haven't seen CHEF! in quite a few years. It's main character has all the traits I admire: arrogance, bile, the ability to hurl carefully-chosen insults, and a heart (even if he won't admit it).

MONARCH OF THE GLEN, I swear, is almost the BBC Scotland version of NORTHERN EXPOSURE, not necessarily being wacky and zany, but because of its cast of eccentric characters. Not to mention the big stag featured at the end of the opening credits, in lieu of a moose.

6
There is no...number six.

7
Now...to the grind.
Categories: , , ,

0 comments: