Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 13, 2006

I've come across a few things lately that were designed to make your life easier. For me, at least, they seem to be living up to that promise. It makes me wonder, to paraphrase Tom Baker a la his Symphony voice-over outtakes...
How did the world ever exist before fcuking _____________ came into it?
DEL.ICIO.US
My first and favorite Web 2.0 app. Yes, it's meant to be a "social bookmarking" site where you can share your links with whoever. Fine, fine, I'm not (all that) greedy about my links. This saves me the trouble of not only saving bookmarks, but having to organize them. This does it all for me.

SCRAPBOOK
This is by far my favorite Firefox extention! Ever wish you could save a webpage on your hard drive and cut out a bunch of unneeded crap or plaster sticky notes on a particular section of a page? Now you can. No more jotting down a link or saving the freaking webpage on my hard drive, and then forgetting what the heck I wanted to do with it! It's invaluable if you do even the slightest amount of research using teh Intarwub. Now, I can clear out my bookmarks!

DIY PLANNER
Based on David Allen's Getting Things Done, I've come to love these forms. No, I haven't given up completely on the old Franklin Covey planner. I deliberately paid about $100 for the thing about seven years ago because I knew that was the only way I'd keep using the thing. I can't let go of some of their calendar layouts, though--I'd rather keep buying them than printing them out anyway. But I don't know how I've gotten by without some of these DIY Planner forms. Actually, it's not just the forms. They're nothing I couldn't custom-make myself using a myriad of the tools at my disposal. But, I've always hated reinventing the wheel. Anyway, it's the concept behind the DIY forms that I like--for example: To-Do lists with enough space to make note of the context of that task.

BACKPACK
I've heard people rave about Backpack, which is a nice little Web 2.0 application that's basically a nice task list. So, I decided to give it a whirl. I wouldn't depend on it, for the simple fact that it's all online (although there is a downloadable version for your HD for Mac). But, it's nice for seeing everything about a project all in one page; no flipping through sheafs of notes and lists. I've chosen to rely on something offline, but people could do a lot worse than to use this as your project organizer. If nothing else, I can now take those annoying little text files of lists and random info (I thought I was the only one who did that. I was wrong) and put them all in one place. Really, do yourself a favor and check it out.
Categories:

0 comments: