Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 30, 2003

The Revenge of the 80s - I know I'm not the first person in the world to make this observation, but I was definitely the first to make it among my group of acquaintences. The 80s have returned! Note the following, based on my observations.

Item One
A "George Bush" in the White House. 'Nuff said.

Item Two
The economy sucks. I'm not really blaming anyone. It's just another eerie similarity.

Item Three
Another "evil empire" whose ideology the United States opposes and has taken it upon itself to eliminate. Then, it was the "Pinko Commie Trotsky-ites," Nowadays, it's "Muslim Fundamentalists." You say, to-MAY-to...

Item Four
In the wide world of toy/comic book/cartoon tie-ins, we have updated rehashes of Transformers, Masters of the Universe, thunder... thunder... thunder... Thundercats, and G.I. Joe. Maybe this time around, I'll finally find out what the other half of the battle is.

Item Five
80s actors actors popping up in wierd places. Now, this has been going on for awhile. Everyone remembers Anthony Edwards from ER in Revenge of the Nerds. I also remember when people used to chuckle at the mention of Ally Sheedy. Now, people dig the indie films she does. And, Bill Cosby never fooled me. It's still the same TV show, especially if he's still hanging out with Phylicia Rashad. Props to Ted Danson, though. He walks down the street and as many people go "Hey, it's Becker!" as they do "Hey, it's Sam Malone!"

Item Five-A - 80s actors popping up in rehashes of 80s movies. He may not have the same buggy-eyes as Christopher Walken, but I actually dig Anthony Michael Hall in USA's The Dead Zone. I felt this deserved special mention.

Too bad "70s retro-cool" is still the "in thing" in fashion. I've still got all my skinny neckties, just waiting...

0 comments: