Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 11, 2003

So, you may actually be wondering, "You didn't actually start a blog out of mere laziness or just out of a desire to stick it to The Man, did you?" Actually, no. I'd stumbled across the occassional LiveJournal or DiaryLand entries. I had even heard an NPR segment on the whole blog phenomenon. But, I basically just forgot about the whole thing for about a year.

The casual observer can see that I'm certainly no stranger to posting my opinions. Among many inspirations were the rants of Bruce Campbell (yes, the Evil Dead guy) on his official website. So it really isn't too much of a stretch that the thing that brought blogging back to my mind was Bruce's latest freedom of expression, If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor. I should email him a thank you -- he swears up and down he actually reads his email.

What's the connection? It's just an example of an average person engaging in the lost art of giving opinions based on abstract things like "reason," "experience," and "thought." He might be right or wrong about any given topic, but one thing (I don't think) you can accuse him of is simply spouting off at the mouth.

So what do I pledge? Political correctness and over-sensitivity? Not really -- I'm still too young for that. Plus some people really do still need their buttons pushed. A one-man crusade to "stick it to the man"? Nah, I'm too old for that, too -- Besides, I forgot most of the lyrics to the NWA classic F*** Tha Police anyway. Sure, I'll vent. There might even be other emotions involved at times. But thought will always be involved.

Think before you speak. Read before you think.
-Fran Lebowitz

0 comments: