Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 17, 2003

You Think You Have An Attitude? - I've pored through quite a few blogs in my interest to see what's out there. I suppose as long as there have been personal webpages, there have been people who dazzle with wit, baffle with BS, or more interestingly, try to scare you with a display of attitude. You know the types.

There's, "Here's my opinion, and I'm too cool to give a [pick your expletive of choice] what you think." I can live with those. These types can at least calmly and logically express whatever viewpoint they're pushing. Consequently, their rants tend to be more of a coherent display of rational thought.

Then of course, there's the "Yeah, this is my opinion, I'm right, and I don't give a [pick your expletive of choice]-ing [second expletive] what you think!" types. These are the ones who actually fantasize that they're intimidating and/or belittling you somehow, because you just don't get it. At least, until after they've finished enlightening you. You gotta love them. Their computer skills probably mean the difference between getting mostly ignored versus totally ignored if they verbally tried to spout their spew.

As I pondered this, it reminded me of an example of a mix between the two. Check out the Old Bastard's Manifesto by comic author Warren Ellis. It's a well thought-out, intelligent yet angry rant, definitely not for the weak-minded. If you want an example of how to really scare somebody by lashing out with your words, this is it. The audience he's directed this rant to probably should feel stupid by the time they read this. Would that any of us could rant so well.

And the best part is that he's talking about comic books.

0 comments: