Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 27, 2004

So, with my money problems cleared up (in a way), I could attend club last night. It was as intense a workout as I've had in awhile. I've had more excruciating, but my arms felt like lead after all the punching techniques we did.

Last session was basically a Bando seminar given by a guest instructor. This guy was the quintessential mix of humility and expertise. The way he moves reminds me very much of the head instructor of my old TKD club. And, he was funny, too, especially when it came to discussing the more practical applications of the techniques he was demonstrating. "Here's something you can do when you have your opponent against the ropes in the ring... or against the bar... or a wall, whatever." Or, "If he tries to run, you can try this move and that move... and for good measure, just punch him right in the face." My favorite was learning that elbow strikes, if thrown the right way, can actually serve to cut someone -- as in bleed.

No, check that. My favorite was the "tornado punch" -- basically a combo followed up by a quick spinning backfist. The instructor noted the amount of power I was generating with it. Of course, the power generation was easy. I performed the move enough times in the TKD form Do San. The footwork is from even more elementary forms, which is for me, the first three Pinan kata. It's funny just how much I've been able to connect between MMA moves and traditional moves. I should write a paper or something, although I'm sure it's already been written 100 times over.

The best part was a compliment I was payed on my technique. The instructor, who has about 10 pounds on me, said that if I were to connect with the spinning backfist, I'd probably knock him out. That's my favorite part of training. Not necessarily praise from people (even instructors) -- simply the acknowledgement that I learned what I was supposed to learn.

0 comments: