Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 14, 2003

No, this has nothing to do with pictures, either.

I'm in so much physical pain, it even hurts to type. But, it's a good workout pain. The kind of pain that comes with training at the MMA Club. God, I thought the calisthenics alone would kill me. I kept hearing Danny Glover's voice in my head going, "I'm too old for this $hi+." But, I'll be darned if my boxing technique didn't come back PDQ.

The second hour, we had our choice between muay Thai pad drills and Filipino stick work. Now, what's a Filipino boy like me to do, eh? Man, in one night I've already increased my single stick repertoire by at least 50%, mostly with all the footwork they had us do. Mr. R in Columbus spent time training with Bobby Taboada, so most of his stick training had very little in the way of footwork. That's 'cause Bobby was so fast, he'd just stand there and play a song on you before you'd get in two swings. Then, we did some empty handed flow drills, a couple of which I already knew -- that scored me a few points with the instructors there ;).

Yes, I still wanna get my blacks, but I'm definitely sticking with this. The stuff they're doing will fill the gaps in my martial arts knowledge perfectly, I think. The only problem is having to pay the guest fee each and every time I wanna train with them, at least until I (hopefully) get matriculated next summer. Apparently, it's a problem the club has been trying to address all sorts of ways. They even discussed labelling me an "instructor" just to get me past the gate. That's the spirit of OU/Athens, OH -- trying to find more ways to "stick it to The Man." Hey, the way I see it, $7.50 2x/week won't necessarily break me, even with the pittance I'm making each week. And, it's still averages about what I paid in Columbus, anyway.

Unfortunately, it's the end OU's fall quarter. Next week is finals week, and the club meetings are basically going to be unstructured sessions, so they said it might not be worth me shelling out money to attend. Their break is 6 weeks, so I guess I'll have to wait until then :(. But, hey, I got stuff I can work on until then.

0 comments: