Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 26, 2005

I'm tired from an early shift at the Diamond Mines, and I've even got to go back at 3 am. So, what else is there for it besides coffee, blogging, and raving about TV that, not having cable, I would have no access to without a... connection...?

Doctor Who - "The Parting of the Ways" had its weak points, but it was brilliant overall. One thing about the British - when they revive an institution, they don't mind latching onto the coattails of another one. As the credits rolled, the first card read:
DOCTOR WHO
will return in
THE CHRISTMAS INVASION
And, no, I honestly don't believe it will be one iota as cheesy as it must sound. That isn't to say that the series didn't have its weak points, but "cheese" didn't even enter into the equation.

30 Days - I'm, uh, "preparing" to watch the second episode. As long as you can't remember that this show isn't really meant to be hard-core sociological research, then you can enjoy it. You'll definitely like the first episode if you liked Super Size Me at all. The first episode saw Morgan Spurlock and his fiance' Alex attempt to live off of minimum wage in Columbus, OH. I recognized 3/4 of the location shots. As I said, you can't confuse this show with research, but here you have an macro example of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which Wikipedia says is "sometimes explained by claiming that the measurement of position necessarily disturbs a particle's momentum." In other words, observing a phenomenon affects the phenomenon. Case in point, following a small, blond, semi-attractive woman with a camera crew as she walks safely from The Bottoms to Downtown Columbus at 5 a.m. isn't necessarily the most accurate portrayal of what would happen had that crew not been there.

Global Frequency - Even Who didn't keep me this rivetted. It's based on Warren Ellis's graphic novel series (which I've recently read) about Miranda Zero and her network of 1,001 spies, experts, and ordinary people called The Global Frequency who protects us from things that the average person doesn't see or understand.

It wasn't picked up by the WB, and although I would drink this show up every week, I'm not surprised. If I wasn't a TV/culture/comic book nerd, I'm not sure I'd like it. I can hear the unwashed saying stuff like "The just ripped off X-Files, Mission Impossible, and every other brains-and-brawn, sci-fi, Matrix-leather, conspiracy, "The truth will freak you out" property that ever was." Producer John Rogers said it best:
Also, in completely honest retrospect, what the hell was I thinking? It's a show about how the institutions around us have failed us, and we live in a world of chaos and death, held back only by borderline sociopaths. The HAPPY ending is our hero shoots an innocent man in the face. Oh yeah, slot us right in after Gilmore Girls.
Not the show people would necessarily like watching (or being watched) in this age of "The government is Right, and knows what's best for you." That being said, how many shows that hasn't had even a millisecond of airtime, and never will, generate so much buzz?

1 comments:

Kwasi said...

I'm hoping some cable station picks it up. With that much internet buzz, its a possibility