Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 31, 2003

"TOO MANY VOICES IN MY HEAD"
or, "Continued from Last Night..."

ITEM FIVE
Earlier this week, I got to page through a copy of the Bulletproof Monk graphic novel. Man, the reviews were right -- it wasn't all that great. The flick was actually better.

I also got to leaf through a copy of some Lupin the 3rd manga. I've heard of fanservice, but damn. Monkey Punch must've had some serious childhood repression when he wrote this stuff.

ITEM SIX
Ten days until Macy Gray's new CD is released.

ITEM SEVEN
Apart from Adult Swim, my secondary addiction is the BET On Jazz channel. It makes me LONG for the days when I used to play. It also made me remember how STUPID I was trying to play under the influence of alcoholic beverages that probably could be properly classified as chemical weaponry.
ITEM SEVEN-A
I'm really confused about something. Every once in awhile, they do a rundown of Billboard's top jazz albums. Someone answer me this question: How in the blue hell did Norah Jones get a contract with Blue Note-freakin'-Records?

I'm not down on her music or anything. Musically, it really is decent stuff. But, I don't like it. Frankly, I tried listening to her CD and all I could think of was, "Half these songs will probably end up on the next Dawson's Creek soundtrack." But -- and Lord, forgive me for saying this -- Kenny G is more "jazz" than Norah Jones!

I've definitely matured past the Wynton Marsalis 'tude of "If it don't swing, it ain't jazz." I do idolize Cassandra Wilson, after all. But still, exactly what makes Norah's music "jazz"?

ITEM SEVEN-B
This is an appeal to anyone out there who might know. I ask this question out of sheer lack of knowledge and the sincere desire for an answer: Do I really need to know who Peter Cincotti is? I have neither the time nor the inclination to hear another Sinatra knock-off. I already have enough Harry Connick, Jr. music (good as it might be) as it is; I don't need to clutter up my CD collection with his clone.

ITEM EIGHT
I may have mentioned before about my sickening realization that "smooth jazz" is starting to grow on me. Lord help me, I might actually break and buy some soon.

Here's my justification. It looks like sometime in the near future, I'm going to be tapped to play lead/solo for the worship team in my church. In other words, me on trumpet in front of a rhythm section. Trouble is, most people aren't used to hearing trumpet; at my church, the lead horn player is a sax guy. Plus, I'm a jazzer. I (attempt to) play with a jazzer's tone and phrasing. On top of that, the style of music is 99% "contemporary Christian" which basically means pop and rock with a bit of smooth, contemporary jazz thrown in.

I tried using Miles Davis's You're Under Arrest album from 1985 as my guide, but his style of jazz fusion (not the smooth crap) is a bit too hardcore. So, maybe I need to get a couple of (shudder) Chris Botti CDs? Rick Braun, maybe?

I think I'm going to be ill.

ITEM NINE
A new Battlestar Galactica? A remake with a female Starbuck? Who, though the writers deny it, will probably end up in the sack with Apollo if the show lasts long enough?

I am going to be ill.

ITEM TEN
I forgot to mention something eerie about last week. Last week, I saw something on VH-1 having to do with New York, Tribeca, Robert DeNiro, something. There were some live shows and I saw The Roots with Cody ChestnuTT playing The Seed (2.0). The Roots kick @$$! Anyway, the eerie part is that I hit the remote button accidentally and flipped it to MTV where [insert Twilight Zone music here] The Seed (2.0) video was playing at the same time.

Spooky.

0 comments: