Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 04, 2003

IDLE MUSINGS
These are the thoughts that kept me out of the really good schools.
  -George Carlin

And, you thought Matrix Essays went too far.

ITEM ONE
I'm really digging all these "new" episodes of Lupin the 3rd that I'm seeing. I just have a few questions...

First off, he's supposed to be the grandson of the (fictional) French thief Arsene Lupin. Now, in all the episodes I've seen so far, I don't have any reason to think he's of mixed heritage or anything, so, why is his gang all Japanese? You have Fujiko, Goemon (a samurai), and Daisuke Jigen. Jigen's supposed to be this "Chicago gunman." Hey, I can buy that, I guess. Lots of Japanese in Chicago (?).

I suppose it's the same sort of reasoning that always brings Doctor Who, even though he can travel anywhere in time and space, back to England. Or, how the key to the conquest of the universe in Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers centers around first taking out Angel Grove.

ITEM TWO
24 will undoubtedly go down as one of my favorite TV shows of all time. I realize the difficulties they must've had trying to top the first season, but still. In the last "few hours" of the season, the main character is tortured, clinically dies, is revived, escapes and accomplishes his mission all in the span of about 3 hours.

ITEM THREE
Something I couldn't quite put my finger on always bugged me about Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. When it first came out, comedian Jon Stewart made a disturbing observation. When you boil it down, the plot is about two grown men in pirate shirts and pony tails taking a young boy away from his mother to whisk him off in some "great adventure."

0 comments: