Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 15, 2003

You've seen the personality quizzes. You've read the deep introspection. You've heard the whining. You know what "Current Music" I'm playing.

Now, prepare for...

THE CD REVIEW

I guess we could go song by song through The Trouble With Being Myself, but I'm too tired. I'll just make these brief points in this preliminary review. As always, all opinions are subject to change.

THE GOOD:
This CD is everything a third album should be -- evidence of musical growth. I don't think there's a song on here that's just "I Try Redux." I always felt The Id, as good as it was, aimed to be a new and improved version of On How Life Is. Consequently, the music -- writing, arranging, the performing, the funk -- was laid on a little too thick for me.

The new album is definitely "retro-cool" at its finest. The songs and arrangements are so much more complex and mature. My favorite thing about Macy Gray's CDs is that they're such a group effort. It's not one person's vocals above a group of muted studio musicians. It's the same core funkiness taken in new directions. Not too far off so as to be a "concept album" -- you know the type. The one that every artist makes to explore new musical territory that no one except 2% of their fans understand, which makes their next album a quick return to the "same old crap" so that the record company can recoup their losses.

If those aren't good enough reasons to dig it: Beck co-writes a song and performs on it!

THE BAD:
My only complaint - no bonus track (at least not on mine). I'll probably need to listen to it about 5 more times before I find something to complain about.

THE UGLY:
I wouldn't change a thing on ANY of her albums. I just have one question -- Can she go through one CD without a song about her killing or threatening to kill someone?
I've committed murder and I think I got away
I've Committed Murder from On How Life Is

Give me all your lovin'
Or I will kill you
Give Me All Your Lovin' Or I Will Kill You from The Id

She gonna hurt you daddy never again,
She wasn't a friend,
So I killed her
My Fondest Childhood Memories from The Trouble With Being Myself


You thought I was joking, didn't you? Like I said, though, I wouldn't change a thing.

0 comments: