Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

I never, ever do these, but I make an exception today, a) because of the respectability of the source and b) because the questions are pretty interesting.

Mushtaq Ali asks:

1. What is the best thing about being American?

The best thing has to be the quality of life. Even though no one used these exact words, the one thing that's been subtly communicated to me all of my life by my parents and relatives is that for everything that might be wrong with this country, the standard of living is still unmatched, at least compared to the Philippines. Why else do upper middle class families with 2.5 servants per household put up with the shock of emigration and discovering that they have to do their own laundry? That's not a stereotype -- I have names and numbers if you don't believe me.

My father will be the first to tell you about everything that's wrong with this country. If he likes you, he may tell you all the problems he's experienced financially, culturally, and interpersonally. He'll also tell you that compared to being in the Bataan Death March and living under Japanese occupation, and everything else between then and Marcos' martial law, it hasn't been that bad over here.

2. Twenty years from now, what is one thing that is still delighting you about your soon-to-be- wife?

That's an easy one - we will no doubt still be relishing in obscure and arcane references from various cult sci-fi/fantasy, music, anime, etc. Twenty years from now, we will still gape at something weird and crack up, saying, "It is... Bizarrrrrooooo!"

3. You have just received round trip tickets for two to anywhere in the world, where do you go, who do you take with you?

In general, it's safe to say "somewhere in Asia." If E has any say, it will be Tibet or Korea. If I have any say, it will be the Philippines. We would also be going for the same general purpose, namely to connect with our deep interests at the places where these interests have their origins. In E's case, it will be her love of Korean culture or to deepen her experience of Tibetan Buddhism. For me, well... "*Clak* *Clak* Ow, my tender American hands!"

4. The time machine is finally working, you get to spend a day with any one person in history, who will it be?

Louis Armstrong. This is no joke, I want a trumpet lesson with Louis Armstrong. If it was a 24 hour session, so much the better. Heck, I wouldn't even have to play anything myself - just sit there with a tape recorder and ask him playing questions. His was the first "musical genius" that I ever connected with.

5. What section do you visit first in the bookstore?

Lately, I've noticed that I've been going to the magazine racks first to look at some literary journals, maybe the sci-fi magazines, and then the martial arts magazines where I spend the most time (big surprise). I used to head first to the "Sports" books, but I've noticed over the past couple of years that all the FMA books have all but disappeared (not a big deal, since I have about 5/6 of the ones available through your general retail outlets).

***

If YOU, the instant gratification reader would like to participate, follow these simple rules...
THE INTERVIEW GAME RULES:
Here's how you can play the interview game:
1. Leave me a comment saying "interview me." The first five commenters will be the participants.
2. I will respond by asking you five questions.
3. You will update your blog/site with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions. (Write your own questions or borrow some.)
If possible, leave an email address, and I will email you the questions directly.

0 comments: