Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 10, 2005

UNO
Last Tuesday after Fight Club, DATU_B and I experimented with some of the techniques shared by Mushtaq Ali. I initially had it in my mind to retrain myself from the beginning when it came to certain techniques -- I'll probably do that on my own.

B thought it best that we train in the context of Muay Thai basics, particularly as it relates to the defense AND attack with the right side of my body. This includes the basic shin blocking, jamming with my right side using the “Superman” entrance, and everything in-between.

It’s probably a good idea to try and push all of my kung-fu blocking to the back burner for awhile. At 40% speed (note to self - I was told “Tai Chi” speed, really) and 1/10 of the power, my arms are sore as hell from trying to soak kicks. Of course, exposing my forearms for a pounding during a demo during Fight Club didn't help, either.

But, that begs the question, doesn’t it - What am I training for? If I learn to soak a kick with my arms, then isn’t that a good thing? Besides hardening them, isn’t it worth taking one or two to get within range for a finishing technique? Or, do I train to go toe to toe, in which case, two soaks with my forearms becomes an extremely bad idea.

TWO
T-Minus 13 days to wedded bliss!

Incidentally, I gave E five questions for the Interview Game -- see below.

THREE
Today, in 1927, my father was born.

FOUR

I feel like a kid again! Posted by Hello

The new series isn't due to premiere for another three weeks. But, because of... umm... a time slip... I saw the first episode, entitled Rose. Don't ask how, because if you do, my explanation will consist largely of Doctor Who temporal technobabble.

The episode was great! If only Paul McGann's 1996 TV movie could've been like this. It could've, really, if Fox hadn't tried to make it too American. I nominate him as the first recipient of the Timothy Dalton I-Should've-Been-a-Contender Award.

God, I spent excessive amounts of time taping all the Doctor Who I could from PBS when I was a kid. I was to Who what a Trekkie is to Trek, except for going to conventions. Anyway, this episode is classic Doctor Who without the cardboard cutout backdrops and rubber suited aliens. It was how the Jon Pertwee-era story Spearhead from Space should've been done. And, I like the new metrosexual look, too. I was worried that the whole thing would end up being too Matrix-y, but it wasn't.

The title sequence is very, how shall we say, very 2000. If I would've seen this in 1988, I would've been blown away. Now, it's still exciting, but please... that whole "freeze frame while the camera appears to circle you" effect has long since been out. That being said, I like the new logo.

I like the new Doctor, too. Christopher Eccleston's, who I didn't know was in Shallow Grave, for pete's sake, take on The Doctor is very reminiscent of Patrick Troughton's (who got, arguably, the biggest post-Who exposure with a cameo in The Omen). Actually, it's more reminiscent of Peter Davison's reminicence of Patrick Troughton. Of course, unless you're a Who geek, you'll have no idea what I'm blathering on about.

Incidentally, the BBC's Doctor Who Site has been redesigned. Check it out!

And, to think the Sci-Fi Channel passed on this. Lexx, Black Scorpion, Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, and let's not forget, Ghost (yes, Moore and Swaze) are fine. But, why take a chance on the longest-running sci-fi franchise in history.

FIVE
For awhile, you'll see the following line at the bottom of each post, at least until I get four more people to volunteer:

***

It's not too late - Play the Interview Game!

0 comments: