Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

By the way: T-Minus 22 Hours to Wedded Bliss!

***

E and I don't have cable TV, and in OULand, that means that you don't have TV, even if you actually have a television set, which we do. So, whenever we get within TV range, we scope it out, just to see what we've been missing. We usually end up appalled.

One thing I discovered was that they really weren't lying when they say they've got a reality show for everything. I knew about celebrities being chased around, people eating bugs and all of that nonsense. I generally ignore them as I flip through the channels, pausing just long enough to say "God, not another one!" That is, except in two cases.

In my opinion, the genre hit a new low with Intervention. Shown on A&E of all places, this is a show that follows around people with serious addiction issues - the particular episode I saw concerned a woman addicted to pain killers and a teenaged girl cutter - who don't know that somewhere along the line, they're going to face an intervention. Now, it's not necessarily the concept that I have a problem with. I have a problem with them actually showing the cutter cut herself in graphic detail. I would have even accepted that if it stopped there, but it didn't. You know, I can't even go on with the rest of it...

There was another show that I personally would consider a height for the reality TV genre on The Discovery Channel called It Takes a Thief. Here, two ex-burglars illustrate the security flaws in people's homes by breaking into them. Cameras are placed all over the house and the people get to watch from a distance as one of these robbers use any and every trick in their book to get into their homes, pore through their valuables, and grab any and every piece of loot. Afterward, the loot is brought back and inventoried while the homeowners are educated as to what made their house easy or hard for the burglar. At the end of it all, the show pays for a security upgrade for the home, and the burglar attempts to break in again, to see if their lessons were heeded. In the episode I saw, the burglar didn't succeed in breaking in after the upgrade despite the fact that the homeowners didn't set their security system.

Incidentally, E and I finally saw an episode of the new Battlestar Galactica. She didn't like it as much as I did. We did agree on one thing, though -- the whole BG concept is simply a hook. This show could easily function as it is, removing any reference to BG, except that fewer people would probably watch it. Oh well, I'll reserve final judgement until I see more of it, but all in all, I like it so far.

***

Two out of five people have Played the Interview Game! Who are the lucky three going to be?
Categories:

0 comments: