Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 06, 2004

Well, at least for the time being. What can I say, even I get bored with the same jokes once in awhile.

I should save this until after tonight's session, but I'm not sure what kind of time I'm going to have tomorrow. Plus, BILLY JACK wasn't at club, so unless he shows tonight, I may not have one of his "Quotes of the Week" anyway.

Tuesday night's session was a good night for grappling. I'm as sore as I've ever been, and my arms have difficulty stretching in certain directions, but it's all good. After some free rolling time, we did some "tag-team" grappling: two people grapple and can tag in, at any point, any other person sitting around the mat. And, let me tell you, a good time was had by all!

As hard as it is to believe (for me, most of all), I had a bit more success than I was accustomed to. Oh, not that I just kicked @$$, but neither was my @$$ just plain whooped. I don't know why, but something about BJJ has enabled me to use my mind and think about strategy moreso than Taekwondo sparring. Of course, this could just be indicative of overall progress, I guess. In any case sparring so many different people forced me to "dig deep" into my reservoir of tactics and try things. I was surprised to find out what things actually worked!

For instance, I was sparring a guy, let's call him BIG PUN (a big guy, but not as big as BIG POPPA or even the ol' ONE-ARMED BANDIT). First few rounds I sparred with him, I was fighting for my life, to be sure. I managed to get tags in before I was completely decimated. But on one of the last rounds I got, I surprised myself at how using sprawling and pummeling techniques kept me from getting smothered and taken down for quite awhile. Of course he eventually found an opening. I attempted a guillotine choke which didn't fully sink as he managed to grab ahold of one of my kneeling legs. At this point, I managed to successfully sprawl again with my free leg. Unfortunately, as he tried maneuver around my sprawl, my guillotine sank -- around his trachea :(. He tapped out, and later vomitted a bit. After I told this story to E, she was sort of delighted to find out how horrible I felt about that.

Choking was a pretty effective move for me in a few cases. I got taps from the other DATU_B (DATU_B-2? Yeah, that's it!) and one from the TRENCHCOAT MAFIOSO. His was another case I felt a bit bad about. I got TM in a guillotine choke and he waited a tad too long to tap, as he was red-faced and coughing by the end of it. He got his revenge, though. The next chance he got against me, he bypassed everything and went straight for the guillotine on me and sank it hard. I just had to let it go, though -- he was out for his rightfully deserved revenge.

My most humorous episode was during a round with DATU_K. She might be small, but she's no slouch. I managed to keep her on the defensive, but couldn't really lock anything on her. Anyway, she was close to tapping in the ONE-ARMED BANDIT. Not wanting to face him, I pulled a move worthy of the WWE, and tagged him in myself ;). Yes, that was a ghetto thing to do, so I tagged DATU_K out and took my medicine.

0 comments: