Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 08, 2004

THE BILLY JACK QUOTE OF THE WEEK
This may be a paraphrase. I may quite possibly have heard him wrong, but I would swear that he made this statement to the guest Bando instructor we had that night:
I want to spar you this summer.
I guess you'd have to know BILLY JACK as well as the skill of the instructor to know just how ridiculous a thing it was for him to say.

Speaking of which, before last Thursday's session, I made the mistake of asking BILLY JACK how the silat seminar from the previous weekend was. I knew the minute I asked that he would proceed to attempt various foot strikes on me being seated, which he did. Not only did I check them all with my feet, but I landed a shot on his upper thigh that knocked him to the ground, much to the delight of a couple of onlookers.

Rude Guests
E would probably be upset if she read this. Maybe she's right and I should let it go. But last Thursday, a gaggle of Taekwondo practitioners sort of took over the back room of the workout space. They did have permission from the Club president, and it wouldn't have bothered me in any case -- so long as they weren't kyap-ing all over the place and making other noises while the guest Bando instructor was trying to teach.

At one point, the instructor was trying to describe the philosophy behind the animal forms in the Bando system. This was when the TKD people were making the most bruhaha, so I turned around and stared at them a bit coldly. A couple of them took notice, and they quieted down. I say that not to imply cause and effect. That's just how it played out.

E came to their defense as I was b!+ching about it for a couple of days. She said that they probably didn't realize they were being rude. In Korea, space is at a premium. Chances are, they were probably accustomed to being able to do whatever they wanted in one side of a dojo while other people were doing something completely different on the other side. Plus, the did ask and receive permission to work. To their credit, it finally sunk in that maybe they were distracting us, so when they discovered the room next door was unused and open, they moved over there -- 10 minutes before Club was done for the night.

Besides, as E noted, there is some sort of special Korean thing in town tonight (which she plans to attend) and that they were probably preparing for the scheduled Taekwondo demonstration. Well, even so -- a couple of people from Club joked about walking over and challenging them. I confess, I would've gone with them. Kali stick in hand, of course. Hey, they were pretty good...

I gotta get to work... I'll finish this later. Here's a note to myself for next time to write about...
  • The Bando techniques I learned
  • How E has decided that she's not too fond of southeast asian martial arts
  • A couple of funny anecdotes I heard about the Bando grandmaster who actually lives in town.
  • 0 comments: