Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 07, 2004

Well, that last post was probably the most significant to happen in the time since my last post life. But, there were a few minor things as well...

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Saw it and liked it because it was, as the critics have said, really nice and dark. I lost count of how many times the character who played Ron said "Bloody Hell!" -- I thought I was watching an episode of The Young Ones for a second there. And, sheesh, how do these people line up actors like Richard Harris, Kenneth Brannaugh and Gary Oldman? Not to mention a couple of actors you'd only know about if you watched as much imported British TV via PBS as I have. It almost reminds me of Star Wars having Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

Fight Club - Last Thursday was the last official session. DATU_S made the "warm-up" one of most torturous ever. OK, it wasn't that bad, but I got as much out of that as any of the drills or sparring.

I got a chance to spar BILLY JACK. In the end, I had to tap out because I was more tired out than he was. I was there for the warmup; He didn't show up until just before the sparring started. But, he had about 3 or 4 bruises on him to my none. Blood was drawn, too! Thing was, we didn't know whose it was. There were drops on the mat, and one on my gi pants. But, no one was seen to be bleeding, not even the people who sparred before us. In any case, I learned some things:
  • I need to overcome my fear of closing the distance while people are swinging. Then, maybe the sweeps I tried might have worked.
  • The times I did close the distance, I could actually connect with my fists at a farther range than I'm used to. I didn't feel as if I was overextended, but maybe I was. In any case, having short arms doesn't have to be too much of a disadvantage.
  • I shouldn't bother with a back kick unless I commit to it. When I didn't, I looked stupid and got hit. When I did, BILLY JACK got hit ;).I'm going to miss the cats that are leaving. DATU_S and DATU_E got in their last official Club ultimate sparring match that ended with E's shin on S's throat. Beautiful, I tell you.

    Video Misadventures - I have successfully introduced E to slapstick African-American comedy movies. You know the ones: sex and drug references, awful black (and white) stereotypes that overshadow the trite, yet almost heartwarming message of the movie. Now that E's seen Barbershop, she's itching to see Barbershop 2.

    Speaking of which, I found that the sequel from the Leprechaun series, Leprechaun in the Hood now has it's own sub-sequel, Leprechaun - Back 2 The Hood. Oh, it's on, now!

    I gotta go.
  • 0 comments: