Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 31, 2004

I'm not quite yet an "assistant coach," as the necessary paperwork hasn't reached all the right little hands yet. But DATU_B managed to bluff me in. That $7.50 will go quite a long way at Save-a-Lot.

It doesn't seem like I'll be filling up my "secret martial arts scrolls" with too much more FMA stuff this quarter. The "bad news" is that the focus of MMAC will be on Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu and practical self-defense with live drills. The good news is that the focus of MMAC this quarter will be on BJJ and practical self-defense with live drills! Now, I'm told there's bound to be some striking (muay Thai) and some stick/stick-and-knife work, but I'll miss the constant FMA training, to be sure. Regardless, the live drills are going to be invaluable. Now is when I'm going to see if three years studying the martial arts has produced any real fruit.

Not that I mind the BJJ stuff, either. My partner for those drills was BILLY JACK. He seemed a bit more willing to work, but I'll tell you, he lived up to his name. Between these drills and the live self-defenses, he was true to form with his pleasure at the application of dirty techniques. We did a guard-passing BJJ drill transitioning into a full mount. On one pass, he accidentally kneed me in the family jewels. There was a sincere, if quick, "Sorry" followed by "Ooh, I gotta add that to my repertoire." (Who'd've guessed he'd even know the word "repertoire"?)

Then we started with the live drills. As an aside, when the concept was introduced, SPEAKMAN didn't let me down. His @$$ just had to chime in with, "Yeah, that's what we'd do in black belt tests at the old club." By now, there're as-yet-undiscovered tribes in the heart of the Peruvian rain forest who knew something like that was going to come out of his mouth. My should've-been-verbal-but-was-kept-to-myself response was, "Yeah, I did the same thing for my first gup test." (i.e. in most karate/TKD systems, the rank before black belt.)

Last night's drill was simple: getting out of a rear bear-hug where your arms were free. A scenario that's 99% unlikely, but it helped everyone get a taste of what's in store. The goal was to escape, and if necessary, apply a counter. You were in a circle of people who would attack you that way one by one. The same tricks wouldn't work on all of them. I learned quite a few things, including the application of some tricks I learned long ago but never got the chance to really use before last night. BILLY JACK's tactic of picking people up off the floor wouldn't work on me, but I had to sink to his level to escape his bear hug by working on his thumbs.

We had some free time afterward, so DATU_B and I got to work in some more shin blocking. Looks like the sort of pain I was feeling after last time was the result of me doing something wrong, as opposed to just something normal. Somehow, I associated muay Thai with being in a constant state of pain :). Ah, it's going to be a fun quarter, I think.

0 comments: