Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 01, 2004

Saw two movies over the weekend with E.

State and Main by David Mamet made me realize that I have yet to see a single bad performance by William H. Macy. It made me sad that I avoided that made-for-TV thing he did for TNT -- I don't trust made-for-TV stuff. But, I should've trusted the actor. My plan for the summer is to watch anything and everything Macy's ever starred in.

Bowling for Columbine was fun. It made me question what the heck the big deal was about this movie. I admit I never followed up on all the news reports about just how many facts he may or may not have distorted. Then again, I look to Michael Moore for unbiased factual accuracy about as much as I look to Rush Limbaugh.

The movie did make me look at the whole gun issue from another point of view, though. What gives the U.S. of A. the highest rate of gun-related deaths? Our "gun culture"? Canada has a gun culture. Our national history of violence? Certainly not any more bloody than Great Britain or Germany. Our national poverty? Well, we're still by far the richest country in the world. So, what is it?

Granted, Michael Moore didn't have to harass Charleton Heston at his own home the way he did. (Although in my opinion, it seems like Chuck has overly identified with some of his characters, as if thinking, "Hey, I parted the Red Sea and told Dr. Zaius where to shove it. I can handle a pansy like Michael Moore!") But, being the propagandist he is, Moore couldn't resist the chance to simultaneously take a dig at a right-wing establishment while increasing awareness of yet another of the troubles of Flint, MI. Even if it seemed tangential to what appeared to be his main point that it could be the six-o'clock news spreading a culture of fear with its "If it bleeds, it leads" mentality.

If it is the "liberal media's" fault, then what are the right-wingers whining about?

0 comments: