Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 18, 2004

These video clips of shotokan kata keep getting passed around different servers like some stolen mascot that one gang of high school seniors horked from the rival school. Here's where they are this week.

I looked for them as I read some article on the internet somewhere (I forgot the link and I don't feel like Googling it) about the applications of the various 270 degree turns in certain forms. It also made me consider what I saw as E and I watched Way of the Dragon the other night.

Ah, the many ways ol' Brucie would take digs on karate. Yes, I know he didn't hate all karate. Yes, I know that he took what he could from wherever he could get it. One of his (dubbed) lines, spoken to another character who put down karate strictly because it was Japanese, was "If it's useful in a fight, it doesn't matter where it comes from." Yet he looks at his fellow Chinese practicing it, and goes on about how karate has no power.

For a lot of exponents, their karate doesn't have power, that's the sad part. I remember seeing a bunch of black belts from different karate and taekwondo schools performing the same kata. I'm not a black belt myself, but 90% of what I saw was pathetic. Anyhow, blah blah blah, I've ranted on this before. This entry wasn't supposed to be this long -- just a place for me to stash the above link.

0 comments: