Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 29, 2004

Last night, I got to see a film by one of E's favorite directors, Wong Kar Wai, called Chungking Express. It was released in the US awhile ago by Quentin Tarantino as part of a series of videos of basically his favorite flicks. He claims Chungking Express was the inspiration for the multiple-storytelling style of Pulp Fiction.

It was a very very fine movie. Part of what added to my enjoyment was the fact that I recognized one of the actors, Tony Leung Chiu Wai, best known to me as Alan from John Woo's Hard Boiled. I made the comment (that E didn't appreciate) "I recognized Tony Leung! How 'bout that... I suppose we don't all look the same, huh?"

A few hours ago, we attended one of the final presentations of the local annual film festival entitled "Protest" featuring the films Voices From the Movement by Roger Hill and A Night of Ferocious Joy by David Zeigler. Both of these films showed different facets of the anti-war movement. Their descriptions were interesting enough to make me want to see them, and I wasn't disappointed. I'm not as qualified as E is to determine their cinematic quality (although, I heard a fair amount of "tsks" from her), but I can say I enjoyed the Ferocious Joy a bit more. It made a few more mistakes, but I think it was because it took a few more risks. Not like I really know what I'm talking about, or anything...

0 comments: