Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 30, 2004

We needed to re-combobulate ourselves. So last night, E and I decided to see The Bourne Supremacy (we watched The Bourne Identity before we left) and instead were pleasantly surprised to find Hero playing! I've written before on how bad I wanted to see this movie. When E was in China, she was asked daily by different students, "Have you seen Hero yet?"

F**k the comparisons to Crouching Tiger. If you want to see a "chop sakey" movie, go see the next Jet Li or Donnie Yen movie that's almost sure to be some Hollywood piece of action crap. A flick that pairs one of them with some rap artist and features a petite Asian piece of crumpet kicking all the stunt-people's @$$es before being bedded and/or killed by the star.

But if you want to see film, see Hero! The martial arts scenes were more of the MA/Fantasy line (Zu Warriors, for instance) -- that is not a complaint. The first fight was the rematch that I, and legions of kung-fu movie fans, waited almost ten years to see: Jet Li vs. Donnie Yen (see Once Upon a Time in China II). Poor Donnie, he's now 0 for 2. The odd part was that after his fight, you don't see him at all for the rest of the film. To me, that says one of two things: Either Donnie was pissed off after having to lose to Jet again and boycotted the rest of the film OR somehow in his (reportedly) massive ego, he convinced himself that appearing even in flashbacks would "diminish his character" or somesuch BS. (These I say before doing one iota of research into this fact -- which I really don't intend to do.)

It's bad of me to say, because I really do dig Donnie Yen.

0 comments: