Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Since I'm pretty much in favor of George Carlin's theory on passive eugenics (i.e. too much "safety" stuff for kids like bike helmets and mulch padding underneath plastic playground equipment, is stopping nature from weeding out the unfit), stuff like this always catches my eye...
Evolution, Mutation May Occur Faster than Thought

All Things Considered audio

Aug. 4, 2004

Cancer and evolution both occur when genetic material changes randomly in ways that may be good or bad. A study in Nature magazine this week shows that these changes build up at a much quicker rate than anyone thought. The observation was made in tiny worms, but could revolutionize thinking about all living organisms. NPR's Joe Palca reports.
It's especially interesting in a general sense because a couple of days after I heard this, I happened to be at the local coffee shop listening to what I describe as a "militant evolutionist." To me, a "militant" anything is someone who's so overzealous about their point of view that they don't even bother to examine their point of view. Case in point, I heard this person vehemently defend evolution as a fact, not a theory. "No, no it's not a 'theory' of evolution... it's a fact!" Sorry, Charlie. Even e=mc2 is a theory, and one that Stephen Hawking continues to pick at.

I could've argued, but if one of his cronies couldn't break through his logic, I sure wouldn't have been able to.

0 comments: