Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Ok, truth to tell, I'm not all that upset. DATU_B and I have shown that kamagong (or whatever it was we had), no matter the density or diameter, will shatter in North America. Mine took a mere 4 hits (read: 1 "test" and 3 full power shots) against combat-grade rattan before it broke cleanly in two. A picture will be forthcoming.

Another lesson we learned was that a bad time to practice espada y daga techniques is after your limbs feel like lead after BJJ free-rolling. Such a scenario lends itself to, say, one's own stick ricocheting back into one's own eyebrow, cutting it open.

Sorry, DATU_B.

I almost didn't participate in the free-rolling, being fully cognizant of just how long I'd been without any BJJ training. You can call it cowardly, but my first move out of the gate was a clean rear-naked. But, after being chided by DATU_B, I loosened up and grappled fair and square. The good news is, I've still got all that hubud-inspired defense; I never felt in any danger of getting tapped. The bad news is that it wasn't until I got gassed when I started remembering my guard escapes and other simple transitions. I give points to myself for jumping in, though. After all, how else do you remember the things you have to work on, right?

0 comments: