Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 24, 2005

I'm not sure whether or not to turn these posts into a weekly thing, rather than 2x/week. I'm not really learning a lot of "new" things, so to speak (though, when I do pick up new things, they really feel like rare gems). Rather, I'm learning to actually apply what I know.

But then again, I have a file on my computer where I go in week after week and try to jot down some notes about whatever training session I just walked out of. Maybe that's what I'm sick of -- making notes there and posting interesting tidbits from the sessions here. So, I think it's just all going to go here, instead.

Now that that's settled, I'll apologize in advance if these notes seem disjointed or scattershot, or in the extreme, the ramblings of a foolish person dabbling in things he probably shouldn't.

"Get out of the L-stance" - That's my new immediate training goal in my long-term goal of bleeding out the last remnants of my old kung-fu/TKD training (rather: the remnant of those elements that are liabilities). Better for my balance, and tonight, I even actually generated a bit of power from the foot that I didn't let slip behind my lead foot.

Using full-length bastons in corto range - DATU_B is understandably gun-shy around using hardwood. Hey, that's ok - I've no desire to have chips fly into my eye. Anyway, we were playing around with our regular sticks. We were trying to play with this, but we couldn't even agree as to how to execute strikes from the chamber, so we just went ahead and played inside the range with what we knew. Of course, at that range, there are infinite punyo strikes. But, we were playing with extremely tight angle strikes, as well as checking and passing.

New Stuff - I never thought about facing someone with a stick and a knife in that classic fighting stance and making the assumption, "Hey, the player's got his arm across his body - I'll just go in and trap it there." But, B says some people do, and when they do, the defender just uses the motion for an umbrella to drag that player right into his knife. Ew.

Speaking of knife - I don't know exactly how or why it happened, but B and I were in the most intense knife-tapping drill at least I've ever been in. I was the one with the knife and, get this, I actually used my live hand! Oh, I didn't touch B at all, but defending was harder on B than he thought it was going to be, he said.

I love new Panantukan moves - All that trapping, arm shearing, foot sweeps, etc. make a ton more sense now that I'm feeling my way around forward pressure. I remember B telling me once something to the effect of (and, correct me if I'm wrong, B) "People who say 'Trapping doesn't work' don't have footwork."

Why have I had trouble with forward pressure? - Probably for the same inexplicable reason that for all the shots I'm willing to soak up and down the left side of my body, I try hard to protect my right. And to do that, I seem to have this default strategy of avoidance which 99.5% of the time only serves to move that side into the 100% zone of whatever strike is headed to that part of my body.

I drastically need to improve my diet - 'nuff said.

There's probably more, but I'm very tired and I'm done with my juice, so I'm going home and to bed.

0 comments: