Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 03, 2005

"It has been proven in boxing," [escrima master Ben Largusa] says, "that the hands are faster than the eye. If you shoot six darts at me at once, I can't defend against each one, so I treat them as one dart. If you throw three or four punches at me very fast, I treat them as one punch. They are only one point of your rhythm triangle. Once you understand the theory of the rhythm triangle, you can understand these movements."

from The Filipino Martial Arts by Dan Inosanto
I've spent the past 3 hours digesting this text. Like Tao of Jeet Kune Do, I'll probably be doing this over the course of several months to a year. Some parts are things I know and some are epiphanies that jump out at me. Other parts I read through and just say, "Huh?" I remember the first time I read this book about, oh, three or four years ago. It was a waste of my time then, because I had no comprehension of what it was I held in my hands. It truly is a revolutionary text.

0 comments: