Turf Marking

All original material, except otherwise explicitly stated, is under this:
Creative Commons License
Creative Commons License
MMIII-MMVII
Warm Fuzzy Freudian Slippers, Ltd.
*Other People's Blogs

FYI

Things you need to know:
  • Some posts, or the links they contain, are NSFW. This is your only warning.
  • This blog serves the cause of my freedom of speech, not yours. I wield censorship like a 10 year-old boy who just found his father's handgun.
Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Not Even Cold

notevencold It's been barely a week, and already we have this? I expect this out of blogs, but Life? I suppose if anyone rates glossies devoted to your life written, published, and distributed mere days after your death, it's JPII. Still, I don't know whether or not to be appalled. What exactly are these meant to be? Keepsakes? "Where were you when the Pope died?" memorabilia?

Another Cause of Domestic Strife - Since I can't really discuss this at home (E - just kidding!!!), I bring it here...
Florida Law Expands Right to Kill in Self-Defense
Tue Apr 5, 2005 01:25 PM ET

By Michael Peltier

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (Reuters) - People in Florida will be allowed to kill in self-defense on the street without trying to flee under a new law passed by state politicians on Tuesday that critics say will bring a Wild West mentality and innocent deaths.

The Florida House of Representatives, citing the need to allow people to "stand their ground," voted 94-20 to codify and expand court rulings that already allow people to use deadly force to protect themselves in their homes without first trying to escape.

The new bill goes further by allowing citizens to use deadly force in a public place if they have a reasonable belief they are in danger of death or great bodily harm. It applies to all means of force that may result in death, although the legislative debate focused on guns.
I'm sorry, I support it. I don't advocate a "Wild West" mentality nor (jokes aside) do I really buy the whole "pre-emptive strike" mentality. I only know this. If I were going to attack someone with the intent to take something from them (their money, their life, whatever), they wouldn't be necessarily be safe while they turned and ran. Especially if I had any object I could turn into a projectile. Therefore, I consider myself to be stupid if I thought that if all methods of avoidance and deescalation failed, I'd be safe while my back was turned.
Categories: ,

0 comments: